Sunday, October 12, 2014

Hot and Dry


 

This time of year it is so hot and dry in Zambia.  As I sat in church today squished on a bench with 10 ladies which was meant for probably only 6 I couldn't help but think about how uncomfortable and hot I was.  Packed in this church with a little over 400 people I felt like we were baking in an oven!  Then as we drove home, as I looked all around us everything was so dry. Zambia is a beautiful country most of the time but during this time of the year everything is brown and dry until the rains come in November.  This made me think about times in my life when I may have been spiritually dry.  It's not like we plan on being spiritually dry it just happens over time as we let certain things go to the wayside and maybe not confessing our sin.  The good news is that when we realize we are dry we don't have to stay in that state.  We can ask God to help us.  Here is something I found written by Rick Warren.  Think about what he has to say on being spiritually dry.  Then if you think you are in this state do something about it.

From Rick Warren:
"We all hit walls at times in our relationship with God. They’re simply a part of the package. Even David, whom the Lord calls “a man after God’s own heart” had times when God seemed very distant. David once prayed to God, “God, are you avoiding me? Where are you when I need you?” (Psalm 10:1 MSG)

We simply can’t judge our quiet times by emotions. Why? Emotions lie. Feelings come and go. Some days it’ll feel like heaven just opened up for you, and you have a great time with God. Then there are other days your quiet time will seem ordinary and bland. Don't expect to have great and glorious experiences every single morning. The issue is consistency.

Yet, if you are having a long period of dryness in your quiet time, you might look at one of these possible causes:
  • Unconfessed Sin: God isn’t going to show you anything new until you do what he has already shown you.
  • Physically Unprepared: If you’re tired or stressed, it can be hard to have a fresh quiet time.
  • Trying Too Much: Pick chunks of Scripture that are too large, and you’ll rush your time with God. You never want to put yourself in a situation where you hurry God.
  • Routine: If you do the same thing every time, your quiet time will turn legalistic. Experiment with some fresh ideas. Mix up your quiet time.
  • Not Sharing Your Insights: If you’re not putting into practice what God is teaching you, your spiritual life is bound to grow stale.
Spiritual dryness may be common, but it doesn’t have to be incurable. Ask God where your dryness comes from, and let him help you turn things around."


Restore to me the joy of my salvation and sustain me with a willing spirit.  Psalm 51:12

O God, You are my God; I shall seek You earnestly; My soul thirsts for You, my flesh yearns for You, In a dry and weary land where there is no water. - See more at: http://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/drought,-spiritual#sthash.Mbnd66BF.dpuf
Psalms 51:12 Restore to me the joy of Your salvation And sustain me with a willing spirit.
- See more at: http://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/drought,-spiritual#sthash.Mbnd66BF.dpuf
Psalms 51:12 Restore to me the joy of Your salvation And sustain me with a willing spirit.
- See more at: http://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/drought,-spiritual#sthash.Mbnd66BF.dpuf
Psalms 51:12 Restore to me the joy of Your salvation And sustain me with a willing spiri
- See more at: http://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/drought,-spiritual#sthash.Mbnd66BF.dpuf
O God, you are my God, I shall seek you earnestly; my soul thirsts for you, my flesh yearns for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water.  Psalm 63:1 
Psalms 51:12 Restore to me the joy of Your salvation And sustain me with a willing spiri
- See more at: http://bible.knowing-jesus.com/topics/drought,-spiritual#sthash.Mbnd66BF.dpuf

No comments: