Friday, February 13, 2015

Have you heard God's voice today?

Sometimes I wonder what God is thinking as He looks at us and our hearts.  I imagine Him waving His arms(as a warning) and yelling(in a kind way of course) to get our attention.  "No, don't go that way."  "You are about to make a mistake."  "Come, follow, and obey." "Spend time with me before going out."  The things of this world, if we allow it, can keep our focus off of God and on our problems.  So many voices are trying to get our attention and we try to listen to them all when all along we just need to listen to God's voice.  But how can we tell the difference in God's voice and all the other voices?  Below is what Oswald Chambers wrote in his devotional book, My Utmost for His Highest.  Let's make sure we are practicing listening to God on a daily basis.

"The goal of my spiritual life is such close identification with Jesus Christ that I will always hear God and know that God always hears me(see John 11:41).  If I am united with Jesus Christ, I hear God all the time through the devotion of hearing.  A flower, a tree, or a servant of God may convey God's message to me.  What hinders me from hearing is my attention to other things.  It is not that I don't want to hear God, but I am not devoted in the right areas of my life.  I am devoted to things and even to service and my own convictions.  God may say whatever He wants, but I just don't hear Him.  the attitude of a child of God should always be, "speak, for Your servant hears."  If I have not developed and nurtured this devotion of hearing, I can only hear God's voice at certain times.  At other times I become deaf to Him because my attention is to other things-things which I think I must do.  This is not living the life of a child of God.  Have you heard God's voice today?"  Oswald Chambers

No comments: