Monday, February 3, 2020

Devotional


Kevin started writing a devotional several times per week.  Here is the one from today.  If you would like to receive this please write me at rodgerstribe@gmail.com

Genesis 20-23 CSB

“Then Abraham said to his young men, Stay here with the donkey. The boy and I will go over there to worship; then we’ll come back to you.” 22:5

    Since moving to our new place of service in Africa, one of the greatest areas of struggle we have faced has been with worship. The music is really loud and painful, with PA systems that often leave my ears aching and ringing at the end of the day. We have realized that our former country was fairly unique in the giftedness of their singers and choirs. Here the singing is often off key, off beat and with a confusing rhythm that can leave you bewildered. Neo-Pentecostalism is infecting the churches and at times the sermons are theologically suspect and smack of the prosperity gospel. Then, to top it all off, this often happens in a language that we haven’t yet learned and with cultural cues that we don’t yet understand. Yet, in spite of our struggles with worship we are falling in love with these people. They have been so kind and welcoming and I am beginning to enjoy the fellowship, the friendships and the community. I can sense the Lord drawing me into them and joining my heart with theirs. Yet, while I love being with them, I do not always love worshiping with them; and that pains me deeply. It has caused me to ask some serious questions about myself, my own culture and my perspective on worship; perhaps I have missed an aspect of worship that our Western culture often overlooks.
     When I read the story of Abraham and Isaac in Genesis 22, I am struck by verse 5. Most people are familiar with this text, and we often remark on the significance of God testing Abraham or the foreshadowing of God’s own sacrifice of His Son for our sins. However, we often fail to recognize that this was an act of worship on Abraham’s part. In addition, when you read the writer of Hebrews’ commentary on this very event, (Heb. 11:17-19) you get a glimpse into Abraham’s thoughts as he climbed that mountain. He never expected God to stop him… he knew God would work things out but he truly thought he was going to have to sacrifice his own son… and he called it “Worship.” This tells me that worship is not about me, it’s about God and His glory. It’s not about my preferences, or where I am comfortable. It’s not about what I can get out of the worship or what I find enjoyable. It’s not even about what is most beneficial for my children. It’s about God’s glory… my obedience and my sacrifice; and sometimes that might be difficult and painful for me. Abraham walked stoically up that mountain, determined to worship the Lord with all of his heart, no matter what it cost him. I am sure he walked down that mountain, hand in hand with his son feeling the greatest joy and peace he had ever felt. The blessings came, but they were on the other side of great sacrifice and ultimate obedience.
     One thing this whole process has revealed to me is how “me” centered our Western worship is. We approach churches like a buffet and we pick the ones who have the best worship teams, the best preacher, the best location, the nicest gym, the prettiest carpet… you can fill in the blank. We join churches based on what they offer us. We rarely walk in and join churches based on the things that drove Abraham up that mountain; obedience, faith, sacrifice and God’s glory. Sometimes, the most God honoring thing you can do is worship where you are most uncomfortable, instead of where you enjoy going! Where we worship is not even about our kids. Growing up in Africa I wanted my kids to learn that church does not revolve around them. I wanted my children to see lived out before them that church is local, it is covenant community and it is vital… and it doesn’t always have to be fun. I am often amazed at the willingness of myself and my colleagues to leave home, leave all to serve Him, and willingly sacrifice to reach people with the Gospel Monday through Saturday, but then live as if the sacrifice ends on Sunday. I think each of us, even those who live in the West, should ask ourselves this question. When did Sunday stop being less about God and more about our needs and what we find most enjoyable? Let the example of Abraham drive you back to the real heart of worship.


Blessings in Christ,
Kevin W. Rodgers


No comments: