Friday, March 6, 2009

Women

Yesterday, I tried to go to a women's meeting at Kanakantapa but no one showed up, probably because of the rain. I could have just gone home but I decided to try another church. It was just one of those days when I needed to be around women. I went to Chainda II(where I use to teach) and found 9 women. It was so good to be able to visit with my friends again. Below are some of my favorite things about Zambian women.

1-Their beautiful smiles.
2-Their acceptance of me even though I'm different from them.
3-Their colorful clothes.
4-they always ask about how my family is doing.
5-they are very relational(and so am I)
6-the way they are shy/respectful/reserved around men but when it is just the women they really have fun.
7-their good attitudes even in the midst of their struggles.
8-the way they slap hands with one another when something funny has been said especially when they do that with me.
9-the way they just reach over and start holding my hand as we walk-just because we are friends.
10-how they believe in me

Monday is a holiday here in Zambia -Women's Day(which is really on the 8th). All across the world on 8 March, thousands of events are held to inspire women and celebrate achievements. A global web of rich and diverse local activity connects women from all around the world ranging from political rallies, business conferences, government activities and networking events through to local women's craft markets, theatric performances, fashion parades, and church events. It sounds like how we as Americans celebrate Mothers Day. So on Sunday and/or Monday pray for the women all across the nations who don't have rights, who are beaten, who think they are nothing, who live day by day sometimes not knowing where their next meal will come from, who have to share their husbands with another wife, who have to do all the chores at home while their husbands lounge under a tree or are off drinking beer. Then at the same time thank God for the husband God gave you and how he treats you.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Loved this post Suzie! I got laughed at at a ladies meeting at church yesterday - I was sort of dancing and they laughed and slapped their hands together. Somehow my being goofy endears me to them. And that's ok with me. African women are amazing.