Saturday, November 7, 2015

Rendezvous with God

 Matthew 11:28-30
28 Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. 29 Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. 30 For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Let's be honest, a lot of times we try to carry our burdens ourselves.  Not sure why we do that because it can just stress us out which leads to other not so pleasant actions.  As I read these familiar verses a few things stick out to me.  First, in red are the words "come," "take," and "learn."  These are all commands that God is giving us.  The word "come" requires obedience.  Just like when we call to our child and tell them to come we expect them to drop whatever it is that they are doing and to come right away, not in a little bit. "Come" expresses the desire and compassionate heart of Jesus and is His appeal for us to come to Him as a relief from our burdens.  It is a call to turn from whatever we are depending on to Him. Then the words "take" and "learn" are a part of yielding ourselves to Him.  To take represents a decision, sometime in a crisis, to submit to the Lord.  It's a choice we have to make.  God wants us to make this choice.  To learn describes a process of discipleship.  It should be a part of our Christian journey of becoming Christlike.  The key point is to get into this habit through practice. Do you get it? The Lord is talking about more than the simple gain of information. He has in mind a change of life, a transformed life-style through an intimate relationship with Him.

Who is supposed to "come, take, and learn"?  All who are weary and burdened.
God's promise:  I will give you rest!  AND  You will find rest for your souls!
Why are we supposed to do this?  His yoke is easy and His burden is light.

God has been teaching me through these verses that if I will humble myself and just bring my burdens to Him and stop trying to carry them on my own, then He will take my burdens away from me and carry them for me.  When I give Jesus my burdens I need to fully release them and not try to take them back.  As I give these burdens to Jesus He will give me rest and I will find that rest!!  Which is better, to hold on to everything ourselves or to give it to Jesus and let him carry our burdens?  If we give him our burdens then He will give us rest! That's a win win situation!

No comments: