Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Giraffes are my favorite african animal

After our conference we went and picked up Zach from RVA and went into Nairobi for the weekend. We went to a local mall and watched a couple of movies, shopped, and ate at Java House(a coffee house with great food). We also went to the Giraffe Center for a couple of hours. I just love giraffes! They are my favorite African animal.
The Giraffe Center was founded by Betty and Jock Leslie-Melville in 1979. This was in a bid to save the endangered Rothschild Giraffe, which had lost its natural habitat in Western Kenya to agriculture and there were only 130 left in the wild. They captured a baby giraffe to start a program of breeding giraffe in captivity at their home in Langata - home of the present centre. Funds were raised and four herds were moved to four parks namely Lake Nakuru National Park, Mwea Game Reserve, Ruma National Park and Nasalot Game Reserve. Today the Rothschild Giraffe population in Kenya is about 500.
Sorry, I'm putting so many pictures but it was hard to choose which ones I should use.









Up on the platform we were handed food for the giraffes. You just had to hold it out in your hand and they would reach and lick it right out of your hand.


Zach's turn.


Zach's first kiss!


Definitely not my first kiss! However, a first with a giraffe though. Their tongues sure our long and rough! I don't even like for a dog to lick me, so this was a big step for me.




This species of giraffe is different from other species because their lower legs are white.




This is a femur bone from a giraffe. Isn't it huge?

No comments: