Wednesday, September 24, 2008

A Time of Reflection

This past week while we were in Kenya, Kevin and I attended a Focus On Leadership Conference. A couple of months ago we had to take several tests and have people who knew is well answer questions about us. Their part was totally anonymous so we couldn't tell who said what. Then at this meeting we got the results of all this information. It was definitely a time of reflection for us both. Here are a couple of definitions of reflection:
Result of meditation; thought or opinion after attentive consideration or contemplation; especially, thoughts suggested by truth.
The reverting of the mind to that which has already occupied it; continued consideration; that operation or power of the mind by which it is conscious of its own acts or states; the capacity for judging rationally, especially in view of a moral rule or standard.

Yes, it was a little difficult to hear what others really thought of me but as I looked at that and then compared it to all the tests I took it all came out to be the Truth of who I am. It was a great conference and one that I have come away from with goals and action plans to change in some areas. Then there are areas that I need to continue doing just as I have been.
One of the tests we took was called the Meyers Briggs which is a Personality assessment. I took this test about 7 years ago and I was a INFP and Kevin was a ESTJ so we were totally opposite. This time I took it and when I saw that I was now a ESFJ I looked back at the front to make sure I had the right test. Yes, it was me, I had changed. I guess after all these years of living with Kevin I am becoming more like him. Ha Ha! If you don't know what these letters mean, E stands for Extrovert, S-Sensing, F-Feeling(big surprise there, huh?), and J-Judging.
"ESFJ's typically are friendly, tactful, compassionate, and sympathetic and place great importance on cooperation and harmony. They are loyal and conscientious. They persevere and get things done in a timely, orderly, and caring manner. They work to see what is worthwhile in other people and draw that out. Even when there is conflict, they believe they can find common ground and harmony. They like being sociable and talking things over with others."
It was also fun being with friends from around our region and meeting new people. I am so thankful for the opportunity that we had to go to this conference. Hopefully, it will make a real difference in our lives in how we lead.



This is the building we ate our meals in and checked our email. There was also a coffee shop here that we enjoyed in the evenings as we visited with our friends.






Our friends Daren, Shawna, and Lee enjoying fellowship.

No comments: