Monday, October 13, 2008

Toothless

A couple of weeks ago, Deborah, came to me and showed me her very loose tooth. She then asked me if I would pull it for her. Well, I never pulled any of my children's teeth, that was always Kevin's job. I was so afraid I would hurt her but when I pulled it she didn't even cry. We got her all cleaned up and then went and showed her father. I felt kind of bad because after pulling it I realized it was her first tooth to be loose. Her father did not mind though and did not want to pull the one next to it which was also very loose. When I asked Deborah if she wanted me to pull the other one too she quickly said no. So, it must have hurt worse than she let on. Since that time it has been pulled so now she is missing her two bottom front teeth.
Zambians, do not put their pulled teeth under their pillow at night. Traditionally, after pulling the tooth, they tie it to a piece of charcoal and throw it in the rubbish pit without looking. They would do this so that a witch wouldn't be able to find it and so that another tooth would grow back in their mouth. Then there are some that throw it on the roof of the house so that another will grow in its place. These days, mostly they do nothing but throw it away.

No comments: