Monday, October 19, 2009

Dry and dusty


"O God, you are my God, earnestly I seek you; my soul thirsts for you, my body longs for you, in a dry and weary land where there is no water."
Psalm 63:1
As we were driving home from church a few weeks ago on one stretch of road there were a whole herd of cows coming straight for us. As we passed they moved over just so we could pass by. It was so dry and dusty on that day. The dust on our windows was incredible, it kept piling up and getting higher and higher. As I pondered this hotness and dryness I began to think how much our hearts can become like this dry land if we are not careful to stay fresh in God's Word daily. We need to also spend time in prayer and fellowship with other believers. When we were in church that day it was obvious the church had not been clean or swept out in at least 3-4 weeks. There were cobwebs in the grass roof, dust on the mud benches and the floor seemed to just be sand although there was a solid mud floor. This is very uncommon. Many churches take pride in making sure their church building is clean for Sunday. Either the women will come the day before or that morning before church begins. How did this happen? Little by little they began to neglect the church building. Just like us, little by little, we can begin to neglect the things that God wants us to do and before long we can find that our hearts are like this dry and dusty land. Pray for Zambians to cling to what they know as Truth and steer clear of things that are not. How is your heart today? Pray for Christians everywhere to get out of the desert in their lives and be among the poplar trees by flowing streams.
"For I will pour water on the thirsty land, and streams on the dry ground; I will pour out my Spirit on your offspring, and my blessing on your descendants. They will spring up like grass in a meadow, like poplar trees by flowing streams." Isaiah 44:3-4

No comments: