Friday, October 9, 2009

A Widow's Gift

Sitting across from the temple treasury, He watched how the crowd dropped money into the treasury. Many rich people were putting in large sums. And a poor widow came and dropped in two tiny coins worth very little. Summoning His disciples, He said to them, "I assure you: This poor widow has put in more than all those giving to the temple treasury. For they all gave out of their surplus, but she out of her poverty has put in everything she possessed-all she had to live on." Mark 12:41-44
This was the lesson I was supposed to teach yesterday at Kamilulu Baptist Church. However, there was a big associational meeting for all the churches in that area that will last for several days. I had all ready planned on going with two of my friends, Amai Mwachamota and Amai Chipboa. This lesson didn't really go with their theme and I was busy this week and just didn't have time to prepare anything new so I decided to just go and be a part of the group and listen to my friends teach. They taught a group of about 50 women on the importance of prayer, bible study, and witnessing. It was a very hot day but so rewarding to see so many familiar faces that I have been teaching over the last several months. As we were walking out to leave we were singing and dancing. The women brought me a live chicken and a 2 liter container of Monkoyo(a drink that they make). As we were driving home Amai Mwachamota told me she had put something in my bible so don't be surprised when I see it. When I dropped them off back in Chongwe I let them split the chicken and the drink. Actually, they split the drink and then Amai Chipboa took the chicken and promised to bring some baby chicks later to give to Amai Mwachamota. I told them that I wanted them to have those gifts because they are the ones that did the work, I had just sat. These women are so precious to me because they are both widows. I have known them now for 12 years and they have become very good friends. They never ask for anything which is quite uncommon here. They are so involved in women's ministry and people far and wide have a great deal of respect for them. Of course, they both struggle to make it day in and day out but God always provides for them. We made a plan to meet again next Thurs. As I go to my last womens meeting I will drop them off about 10 miles out of town where they will go survey the land where they will plant their groundnuts. I think it is sweet that they are such good friends and that they plant their crops together. They look out for each other. Anyway, I dropped them off and reached home at 5:30pm after being gone for 9 hours. I was tired, hot, and thirsty. As I got out of the car I decided to look at whatever she had put in my Bible. I began to cry as I saw that she had put K163,000 in between the pages of my Bible. That is about $35.00! The average income of most Zambians is about $50.00/month. This was an incredible gift for her to give me! Some might question why she did this but I know that God was speaking to me through this event. Something happened over the last several days that we had not told anyone. Through this gift God was showing me that He is in control and He will provide for all of our needs. Now, why he chose to use Amai Mwachamota I'm not sure, except that it certainly got my attention. Praise God! He is Soooooo Good!

No comments: