Thursday, January 19, 2012

Great Books


The Hunger Games, written by Suzanne Collins, is fiction in the young adult genre.  I know I don't exactly fit into that category but it wasn't until after I read the book that I heard which genre it was geared towards. I did however,  find myself unable to put it down. Then when I got to the end of it was upset at my friend who loaned it to me because she had let someone else borrow the second book and it would be a couple of weeks before I would be able to get it.  So thankful for a husband who bought me a kindle for Christmas and I could get it quicker!   The books combination of nerve-racking tension, thrilling action, and love story kept me wanting to read more and not wanting to put the book down.
"When the book opens, North America as we know it has been destroyed and is now divided into 12 districts, ruled by an oppressive government located at the Capitol. Katniss Everdeen, a 16-year-old girl from District 12, takes her younger sister’s place as one of 24 “tributes” selected every year to participate in the Hunger Games at the Capitol.
The Games pit children from ages 12 to 18 against each other in a fight to the death in a giant, treacherous arena. Everything is televised and highly publicized all over the country. Katniss must not only survive the Games, but deal with a romance between her and another tribute from District 12, all the while deciding if she is willing to kill strangers her own age as a pawn of an oppressive government."

The Hunger Games is the first book in the trilogy, and it was released in 2008. Catching Fire was the second book to be released in 2009 which I really enjoyed as much as the first one.  However, the third book, Mockingjay, released in 2010, was not as good as the first two in my opinion. I guess most of the book was good but it just wasn't up to par with the other two.  I really did not like the end of it either because it wasn't how I thought it should end-but hey, I'm not the writer! I guess I shouldn't say too much about it because I don't want to spoil it for you if you have not read these books.  I would highly recommend these 3 books especially since there is a movie coming out in March about it.  I am happy that I was able to read these books all at once and not wait a year between each one!

No comments: