Monday, January 18, 2010

She still speaks

By faith Abel offered God a better sacrifice than Cain did. By faith he was commended as a righteous man, when God spoke well of his offerings. And by faith he still speaks, even though he is dead. Hebrews 11:4

Sunday afternoon I got news that my friend Amai Banda had died. She was my friend from Silver Rest Baptist Church where I was teaching about one year ago. She is the woman who had diabetes and had to have her leg cut off at the knee. Evidently, last week two of her toes on the other foot had fallen off and when she went to the doctor they said they would have to cut off her other leg as well. It was after her surgery that she got worse and then died.

This morning I went with some of my other Zambian friends to visit the home of Amai Banda. We entered a room about 10 ft wide and 12 ft long. All the furniture was taken outside where the men sat. Only about 25 women were in this room plus the two men that came with us. We all sat on the floor bunched together. There was much wailing. We all greeted, sang, prayed, and then wailed some more. Then they turned it over to me to share. I brought the book, Voices of the Faithful II with me because I had written a devotion in there regarding Amai Banda. I read that days devotion and then shared Heb. 11:4 mentioned above. I tried to encourage the family and friends that even now after Amai Banda has died her testimony will still live on.

I can’t copy that devotion on here but if you have the book it is found on Aug. 16th. Now, on that day, people all over America will be praying for Amai Banda and won’t even know that she has passed away. While that is sad to me, I know that people will be encouraged by her testimony and perhaps even challenged to be a witness for Jesus. Amai Banda was a good friend, mother, grandmother, church member, and wife. She sacrificed much to serve God with one leg. I feel sure she is doing some kind of African dance praising Jesus even now. Many will miss her presence but hopefully they will be encouraged that even though she is dead she still speaks.

She will be buried on Wed. Please pray for Amai Banda's family during this difficult time. I gave the family the book, Voices of the Faithful II. They were so grateful to have this book.

Amai Banda is the one in the middle with a green head wrap on and a gray shirt.

1 comment:

Mike said...

Suzie,
I cried when I read your post. I immediately went out and bought the book and read teh Aug 16. entry. I intend to share this with our church tonight. We just went through a tremendous Lottie Moon campaign and this will encourage our folks. We have about 70 members in our small church and we received $10,002.00 to give to missions. We are praising the Lord that we can help you do what you do. We pray for you day and lift you up every Wednesday evening in worship time. God bless you and Kevin and your family. Thank you for your faithfulness.