Saturday, February 13, 2010

Creation to Christ

Thursday at Chimusanya I wanted to follow up our time of sharing our testimonies from last week with sharing the gospel with these women. I could tell from last week that there were a few who probably did not understand the gospel but who thought they were Christians. I told stories from Gen. up through Jesus' resurrection. This method is called Creation to Christ. I took a long time to explain certain stories that they might be confused on. At the end when I asked if they had any questions one woman asked about charms and witchcraft. I had taken Amai Mwachamota with me that day and so she then spoke on that topic for about 30 min. She also shared her testimony. Before she was saved in 1991 she had been involved in many of the things that these women struggle with. She is such a different woman today! I know it must have been an encouragement for these women to hear her words of what Christ did in her life to set her free from that bondage. When she had finished I gave an invitation and 4 women came saying they wanted to receive Christ. So, me and Amai Mwachamota took these women outside and counseled with them and they all prayed to receive Christ. Please pray for these 4 women to break free from the bondage in their lives and that they would begin to grow in their relationship with Jesus.
I left at 1:00 that day and reached home at 7:15pm. It was a long afternoon but so exciting to see these women decide to follow Christ. As I reflected on this day God taught me two things:
1-In relationships we are always learning new things about our spouse, our children, our friends, and our God. How boring it would be if we all ready new everything about the people we love. We have been in Zambia since 1997 and I am still learning about our people. I learned some new cultural things today that I had never heard before. I wasn't surprised by them but it was still exciting to learn. I think it is neat that God didn't teach us everything we needed to know about culture and our people the day we arrived. Little by little we continue to learn and grow in our knowledge of who they are.
2-One of the women at the meeting asked Amai Mwachamota a question about miscarriage. They believe that if a woman has a miscarriage she can not be with her husband until she has taken some medicine(charm) to protect her from getting sick with a lot of pain in her stomach. So when women have a miscarriage they will go to the witchdoctor to get this medicine so that they will not get sick. Amai Mwachamota knew I had had a miscarriage back in our first two years on the field. So she asked me in front of them if I had taken any charms after my miscarriage. Of course, I said no. Then she asked if I had gotten sick. Of course, I had not. Then I had Hannah almost one year later. She talked to the women explaining that we are all women and we are the same. If they were to cut each one of us we would all have the same blood. Anyway, I could talk and talk on this but I won't. What God showed me was that He can use anything in our lives to teach others about Him even something painful like a miscarriage. When I went to share Christ with those women on Thursday I had no idea that subject would come up. I'm thankful that God could use something from my life to direct others towards Christ and show them how they can leave this part of their traditional life behind.

1 comment:

Ann said...

2 Corinthians 1:4-- you were able to comfort those with the comfort you had received from God. Although when you were going through it and before Hannah was conceived, it was hard to see how God could use your pain and loss. Only God can bring beauty from ashes. Thanks for sharing. . .