10 Mistakes parents make with teens from www.byparents-forparents.com
1. Lecture rather than discuss
2. Ignore the obvious
3. Not following through on rules and consequences
4. Setting unreasonable goals
5. Pointing out only the negative, expecting only the positive
6. Leaving the educating up to "someone else"
7. Giving up on family time because it is too much of a hassle
8. Assume good grades mean no other problems
9. Not taking the time to know what's up with adolescents today
10. Giving up too soon: Forgetting the "three time" rule
For more information and elaboration on each point, see the entire article on the By Parents - For Parents website.