Thursday, January 15, 2009

Alone time with just me and God

Today I started out to go and encourage the women at Chainda II Baptist Church because I had not visited with them in a couple of months. When I got there no one was in sight so I decided to just sit in the church and wait. It is not uncommon to have to wait for everyone to arrive here because time is not like what we are used to in the States. So, as I waited I started reading the book of Philippians. It's a short book but I had time to read it all. I just wanted to write some verses that were an encouragement to me and hopefully they will be to someone reading this as well.

Phil. 1:3-6 "I thank my God every time I remember you. In all my prayers for all of you, I always pray with joy because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now, being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus."
I thank God for all the people who pray for us. We are in a partnership together and you are just as much a part of our ministry as if you were here with us. We need you!
What work will God finally complete in us? God will finally complete the work of saving us. If we trust in Christ, we are already fully saved. But God's work in our lives continues until the day of Christ Jesus. Only then shall we be like him.

Phil. 1:9-11 says, " And this is my prayer: that your love may abound more and more in knowledge and depth of insight, so that you may be able to discern what is best and may be pure and blameless until the day of Christ, filled with the fruit of righteousness that comes through Jesus Christ- to the glory and praise of God." -righteousness can only come through Jesus!

Phil. 2:14-16 says," Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life-in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing."
I love these verses! It is difficult at times to not complain or argue because of difficult circumstances that come up in life, sometimes daily. But hey, it says that we may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault if we don't. Then we will shine like the stars in the universe as we hold out the word of life. Wow! That is my prayer for my life.

Phil. 3:13-14 says, "Brothers, I do not consider myself yet to have taken hold of it. but one thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus."
Lord, help me to forget what is behind and keep straining toward what is ahead. Help me to keep my eyes focused on the goal.

Phil. 4:4-7 says:" Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice! Let your gentleness be evident to all. The Lord is near. Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus."
Rejoice Always! No matter what circumstances surround you, Rejoice. I have read these verses many many times in my life but I think today is the first time that I have really noticed the part that says, "The Lord is near." How comforting is that to know as we walk throughout our Christian life and as we continually present our requests to God, He is always near.

Phil. 4: 13 says, " I can do everything through him who gives me strength."
What does God give us strength to do? Everything means everything. All that God desires us to do -not absurd, selfish or evil things though. God's grace will sustain us no matter where he leads.

Well, I finished reading and reflecting when some children came into visit for a while. After a few min. I decided to go ahead and leave. I had waited 45 min. but no one came. Perhaps they were all out in the fields working because today was a sunny day. Maybe they came later, I'm not sure. I do know that I needed that time alone with just me and God.

1 comment:

Helen said...

Suzie, Thank you for that. those are some of my favorite scriptures.
i can just close my eyes and imagine the church, the smells, the "not so silent" African silence. I can see you bent over your Bible, spending time with our Creator. I miss those quiet places, those times when you are truly in His presence. Doesn't God just seem extra close when you are available.