Sunday, January 11, 2009

Difficulties and Victories


This past week while Kevin has been living it up in the states I have had my share of difficulties and victories. First, let me say Kevin probably is not living it up very much except for being able to visit with family on the weekends. Really, how much fun could it be to go to seminars every day for this long? Anyway, back to me and my story. Last Thursday, I tried to turn on the computer and it just came up blank with a little blinking curser in the top left corner. Nothing I did could make everything pop up like usual. As I have mentioned before, I am not the computer person in our family. In fact, I'm probably number 4 on the totem pole of computer knowledge in our family and I'm sure Hannah will pass me soon enough. So, I do what any other person in my situation would do-I cried, then I prayed. About 10 min. later I tried again and the computer worked! I was so excited! Then later that day when I took it into Lusaka it went out again. I finally found out that it was our ac adapter that had gone bad. So, I have been without internet for the last few days. Some friends of ours(the Scotts) have graciously let me borrow their ac adapter while they are gone so now I'm back online. Thanks Sky and Daniel!
This same day our worker came and woke us up telling us that our rabbits had dug out under our wall and about 8 were killed by our neighbors dogs during the night. Justin and Tito found the hole and blocked it. Hopefully, there aren't any more holes. The next day Dorcas(hannah's friend) found one of the rabbits at her house. She was able to grab it and give it to her Dad who then put it back into the pen. So at least one was saved.
Have you ever had to extract the square root of a number? Well, Justin is doing that now in his Pre-Algebra class and was having trouble with it. I sat down to look at and tried to figure it out. It took me a while but I finally got it. My question is, what job in life(other than a math teacher) do you have to know how to extract the square root. I mean, I'm 42 and have never had to do it before and sure hope I never have to do it again.
So, while Justin is trying to finish up his math I decide I'm going to mow the yard-for the very first time in my life. Well, my dad tried to teach me when I was a teenager but it didn't go too well and I just ended up crying so I have never done it since. Anyway, Justin thought it was quite funny that I thought I could mow the yard. I told him it couldn't be that difficult, I mean, I know how to vaccum a floor! So, he got the lawn mower out and started it for me and off I went. It only cut off one time and I got it started again all by myself. The grass was kind of tall since we had been gone for a while so it was a little difficult to push the mower through part of it but it really wasn't too bad. I thought I would be sore the next day but wasn't. Anyway, I was quite proud of my accomplishments this past week even though I had some difficulties along the way.

1 comment:

Joshua, Amy, Caleb, Abby, Anna & Luke said...

You are the woman!! I'm so proud of you :)) we are finally flying back on Friday... will I see you???