Monday, January 12, 2009

Saying Bye to Friends

One of the hardest things to do as missionaries is to say "good-bye." It seems like at least several times a year we have to say bye to someone or a family that we have grown to love like our own family. Of course, we have missionaries coming a few times a year also so that helps a little. You know, I have never gotten used to saying bye. I thought at one time I might, since we had to do it so often but it hasn't happened yet. In fact, in a way it has gotten worse. I really struggle with not building up walls when someone first comes. In my mind I keep telling myself that they will just be leaving soon and I will have to say bye to them too, so why be friends? I have realized over the years that I can't build up walls but I need to be the best friend I can to those who come into our mission family. God may want to use me in their life or vice versa but if I build up a wall, how will I ever be and do all that God wants me to? As you pray for missionaries, pray that those who struggle in this area will not build up walls in their lives but that they would be all things to all men even if that means being friends to someone who will eventually leave.
This past week we had several people come back to the field from their stateside assignment(formerly furlough). It is great to see them back, refreshed, and ready to work. However, on Friday, we had to say good-bye to our good friends the Cooks-Ricky, Niki, Kelsey, Coby, and Austin. For a long time we had prayed that Hannah would have a special friend her age that lived close by. God answered that prayer with Kelsey. It just isn't hard on us s to say bye it is also tough on our children. Pray for Hannah as she deals with this loss in her life and that God would bring other friends into her life when He sees fit. The Cooks are now back in South Carolina trying to find their place once again. Pray for them as they try to fit back into that American puzzle, as their pieces/lives have changed so much as a result of being in Zambia.



Niki and I at the end of the evening. I guess you can tell we had shed some tears on this night.


Last Thursday night we had a welcome/goodbye dinner for those who were coming back and then for those who were leaving. The food is always good!


Here is a picture of Sky and Daniel Scott who have just returned to work among the Lozi people. Pray for them as they are at a Strategy Leader meeting for the next several weeks to learn all they can about being better leaders.

2 comments:

Robyn said...

Suzie,
I felt like you were describing me when you shared about how you tend to build up walls around your heart to protect from being hurt when/if someone leaves. I have also struggled with this as a pastor's wife, as a missionary and then back to being a pastor's wife. It was magnified 100 times when we resigned and left Guatemala. Just wanted to let you know that I'm praying for you as I completely understand.

Tim and Lee Shaw said...

Suzie,
You do such a great job on your blog. I just do get out there to read it enough.
Tim