Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Can't believe it!

Last night Kevin and I went to see a movie.  The theater had about 25 people in it so it was not too crowded.  Right before the movie started a little South African girl came and sat two seats away from me.  After about 30 sec. she moved over right beside me and began talking.  She was a little girl so I thought she must be in the wrong theater because this was not an animated kids movie.  She told me that her mother had just dropped her off to see this movie while she went somewhere else.  So, she was in the right place after all.  She also told me she was 7 years old.  Within the first 5 min. of the movie she kept talking to me asking me questions about the movie or just making comments and she was not whispering.  Finally, I told her she was going to have to be quiet and watch the movie.  The whole time I'm watching the movie I am wondering what kind of mother would just drop her 7 year old daughter off at the theater and leave her unattended.  At the end of the movie she said, "It was so lovely to meet you.  I wish I had a pencil to get your number."  I did not have one.  As we are walking out I noticed she didn't have on any shoes. So thinking she had left them at the seat I asked her about it and she said she had just not worn any.  I asked her if her mother was supposed to meet her outside and she said she had to just wait for her outside.  I leaned over to Kevin and said, "You know I can 't leave this little girl until her mother gets here."  Evidently the woman who takes the tickets knew of the little girl because she told her that her mother was waiting at the restaurant across from the theater.  I asked her if this had ever happened before and she didn't know if it had or not.  I explained to her that this was not right just letting a little girl go by herself to the movies.  Thankfully, I was a nice person but what if she had chosen to sit beside a not so nice person.  I don't even want to think about that!!  The little girl asked the ticket woman for a pencil so I wrote down my number for the girl.  Then the girl went to wait at the restaurant.  After about a min. the mother came out.  She was dressed nicely and was obviously well to do.  The girl ran up to her mother and told her that she had sat beside me in the movies.  The mother thanked me and didn't say anything else.  I turned to walk away.  I was just so upset and angry over this situation.  Why in the world did that mother do that?  Then I was upset that I didn't/couldn't say anything to that mother because I hate confrontation.  I am not very happy with myself!

No comments: