Wednesday, December 7, 2011

A New Outreach

I'm beginning a new outreach in Ng'ombe compound with some palliative care ladies.  These ladies work in this huge compound helping those who are sick and most likely on their death bed.  This is volunteer work for them, they are not getting paid.  Anyway, these women get together a couple of times each month and discuss their patients or make some kind of craft that they can sell to help raise money for those in need.  The only thing they are missing is spending time in God's Word.  Troy Lewis, another missionary, in Lusaka has been working in this compound already and even with these women as they distribute the BGR buckets(see sidebar for more info.) for those with HIV/AIDS.  He has developed a bible study called "Stewardship of Life."  So, I'm teaching through this as a pilot program.  I'll be meeting with these women every other Monday in the afternoons.  These women are not all baptist but come from many different denominations so things could get interesting. Ha!  I went this past Monday for the first time.  I shared my testimony so they could learn more about me.  Then I answered some cultural questions about how America is different than Zambia.  That's always fun!  Then I taught my lesson, "God cares that you know Him."  We talked about what it meant to be a steward and that we needed to live our lives in such a way that will please God.  We also discussed how the Bible was written by prophets many years ago so that people could know God better.  How exciting to know that the God of the Universe loved us so much that he had the bible written down for us!  We also talked about how God created the Spirit world and that He is ruler over the Spirit world.  I shared with them about how Satan, demons, and angels came to be.  So basically, I started at the very beginning. In two weeks I'll go back and the lesson will cover Gen. 1-2.  Pray that I will be an encouragement to these ladies and that I'll be able to point them towards Christ as they come each time.  Pray also for any who do not know Jesus to make that decision to follow Him.  Hannah is planning on going with me next time and teach the little kids.  Pray for her as she plans this time and also that the kids would be well behaved and listen to what she has to share.

"For everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through endurance and the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope.  May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus, so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ."  Romans 15:4-6

No comments: